Thursday, March 26, 2015

Well, at least I'm writing again


It’s strange, frightening, and weirdly liberating to be unemployed. Being unemployed this time was not of my choosing. I did enjoy my job very much. I was incredibly lucky in that my job involved working at home, on a computer supplied by the publishing company, and I could more or less make my own hours. If Mighty Mite had to miss school for any reason, it wasn’t a big deal at all – I was already home, and most of the time I didn’t have to excuse myself from my job. It was IDEAL for a working mom.

However, publishing has always been a volatile and fickle business. As has happened many times throughout my career, the company was purchased (by a corporation named after a Greek god, ironically enough) and the new owners decided to “trim the fat.” Whenever something like this happens, departments responsible for things like quality control are usually to first the go -- because they’re responsible for things that are generally impossible to track in budget and balance sheets. That’s what happened to me.

It hasn’t been all bad. After all, I did try to escape the publishing industry once before -- though I'd be lying if I claimed I didn't miss it. We’re lucky in that Mr. Sea loves his job and makes enough money to cover bills and living expenses, though I’d be lying if I said we didn’t miss the cash I’d been bringing in. At least now there’s always someone home to take care of emergencies, which is a VERY good thing. Best of all, I finally have time to do little things like painting the house and, at long last, WRITING.

It’s been nearly a decade since Herald was first published. I do have many more books in the works (so far consisting of notes and notes and more notes ...), and I’ve been sitting on the half-finished followup to Herald for quite some time. Since the beginning of the year, though, I’ve been writing like crazy, and I’m confident that the followup (it’s not really a sequel) to Herald will be published before the end of this year. I don’t want to make promises, though. Don’t want to jinx myself.

The best thing about writing is that it’s still work and it’s still at home. So, I guess I really am employed, at least in a way.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Of course you are still working...it's just the getting paid part that is missing. Which kind've stinks.

I'm down to three days a week, which I actually enjoy, so I have more time at home now too. But I do hope that your writing is flourishing.

Saranga said...

Hoorah for you being back on the blog!
And I am of course excited by the prospect of sequel of sorts of Herald :)