Monday, January 31, 2011

Hunkering down for the "storm of the decade"

Indianapolis has been a pretty darned lucky city this winter, so far. We've had more snow than we usually get, but we haven't been socked with truly horrible winter, like other parts of the USA. However, it appears that our luck is about to change. There's a massive ice storm headed our way, and everyone is calling it the "storm of the decade." SO, I've been stacking firewood in the house, making sure plenty water, milk, bread, batteries, icemelt, candles, and flashlights are available, etc., etc. Our house doesn't usually lose power during storms, but I'm trying to be ready for anything.

Everyone stay safe out there!

5 comments:

MetFanMac said...

It last snowed here 11 years ago... all of 3 inches.

Couldn't you please spare us an inch or two? :-/

SallyP said...

Good God, I'm tired of Winter, and it isn't even February yet. Good luck riding out the storm...I imagine we're due for it in a couple of days.

Bleh.

bryon said...

I get cold when the temperatures dip below 70 degrees F. We in NE Kansas are bracing for our part of the storm, with up to a foot of snow and wind chills down to -24 or so for two days. This is, IMHO, no way to run a planet.

Sea-of-Green said...

I agree! I don't intend to belittle your own circumstances, but in all honesty, I'd rather have snow than ice. The ice coats EVERYTHING and weighs down roofs, trees, and power lines, dangerously so. I just hope our power doesn't go out. Thank goodness we have a woodburning fireplace.

bryon said...

You're right: far better snow than ice. We were without power for two weeks a few years ago because of an ice storm. Lucky for us we burn wood for heat, too. Good luck.