Friday, November 19, 2010

Thoughts on the new Green Lantern movie trailer


YES, I have seen the new trailer for the Green Lantern movie (linked at the end of this article). NO, I don't have an opinion as to whether I think the movie will be good or bad. It's only ONE trailer, plus I learned a long time ago that trailers are downright useless tools for predicting how good or bad a movie will be.

Take Pixar films, for example. With one or two exceptions (one being a particularly funny teaser trailer for The Incredibles), in my opinion, most trailers for Pixar movies are pretty lousy. They almost NEVER tell you ANYTHING about the movie in question -- they're very pretty, but very, VERY vague. RIDICULOUSLY vague, and also BORING. Nine times out of ten, whenever I see a new Pixar trailer, I think to myself, "Okay, now, other than the fact that the movie is a PIXAR movie, why the hell would I want to see it?" I mean, for a movie studio that has a reputation for being the most critically and financially successful studio in world cinema history, Pixar does produce some pretty lousy movie trailers. But that's just MY opinion.

Ahem. Okay. Back to Green Lantern. Based on the trailer, as I already stated, the movie could be good, or could be bad (never mind that it's yet another frickin' origin story). I'd rather have a really good movie or a really bad movie as opposed to a mediocre one. Bad movies DO have some redeeming qualities, after all -- some make for great viewing BECAUSE they're so bad (the movie Surf Ninjas comes to mind). PLEASE-oh-please let the Green Lantern movie be really good or really bad -- but not boring! PLEASE!

I am happy, though, that Ryan Reynolds is Hal Jordan. I wasn't sure about him at first, but I've grown rather fond of him since seeing him in The Proposal. It helps that People Magazine recently called him the Sexiest Man Alive. As one of the sexiest super-heroes in comics, Hal Jordan SHOULD be played by an actor with that title. Hal Jordan himself would probably expect nothing less. Based on the trailer, Reynolds also seems to be channeling the Geoff Johns version of Hal, which is appropriate given Johns' involvement with the film.

The only thing in the trailer that made me wince was when Reynolds said, "One thing a Green Lantern is supposed to be is fearless -- that isn't me." Maybe it's just the way the trailer is edited, but the statement struck me as rather odd. Hal has indicated often enough in the comics (particularly in Sinestro Corps War and in Secret Origin) that he ISN'T fearless -- rather, he has the ability to overcome fear. Still, Hal has also stated that when people ask him if he's afraid of anything, he tends to answer NO because that's what people expect him to say. Based on that, the blurb in the trailer seems out of character. But, as I already stated, maybe it's just the way the trailer is edited.

Still, it was fun to see Sinestro (as a GL!), and Tomar-Re, and Kilowog in the trailer. I'm also assuming that the man Hal is talking to near the end is Tom Kalmaku -- I'm GLAD to see Tom wasn't left out of the movie. As to the rest, well, I'm gonna wait and see how it all comes together. Fingers are crossed.

8 comments:

TF said...

I don't know... the whole thing looks... iffy to me.
That fan-made fake trailer with Nathan Fillion looked better. The costume, the editing.
Maybe it's just me, but, from what the trailer shows (and it shows a lot) I'm not liking the over-all look and style of the film. Especially the costumes. And the ring.

SallyP said...

Oh heck. I liked it. I barely knew who Ryan Reynolds WAS, but he's growing on me. A lot.

The fear line sounds a little bit like something Kyle would say, so in the usual movie fashion way, it could be that they are combining a few characteristics from all of the Lanterns into Hal. Which would be a shame really, because then who will be have in the sequels?

I do have to say that I'd KILL for a cameo of John, Guy and Kyle.

Siskoid said...

And there's Hector Hammond too, which makes me think Sinestro is groomed to turn bad only in a sequel.

notintheface said...

It makes perfect sense that Sinestro doesn't turn bad yet in this film. I hope, though, that he gets a lot of face time in this film.

It's weird that Ryan Reynolds has played 3 different comics-based characters and none of them is Wally West. However, he nails Hal in the trailer (save perhaps for the "fearless" line).

My only two red flags from the trailer:

1. Blake Lively as Carol.

2. Lack of ring constructs. Then again, they could be keeping some of the better ones under wraps for later trailers or just for the movie itself.

LissBirds said...

I'm kind of iffy on it, too. The thing that I dislike the most is the costume, really. It's got a peeled-skin look to it that just looks icky, not cool. Hal Jordan has one of the sleekest, classiest costumes in all of comicsdom.

A coworker of mine does surveys for money, and three years ago he was part of a focus group about the GL costume in the upcoming movie. The choices were between the one currently in the trailer and the classic one. He chose the classic one, since that's what he grew up with, but I guess no one else did!

Volcano Todd said...

Totally agree with you regarding the Pixar trailers. But as long as they continue to make fantastic movies, they can continue to churn out their bad trailers. It's not like it's hurting their box office returns.

I talked a little bit about the GL trailer on my own blog, but held back considerably because even though it looks like a full trailer, in my opinion it's a teaser. Something to appeal to the masses and drum up some excitement. I'm just thrilled as all hell they're even making a Green Lantern film!

Sea-of-Green said...

Amen to that! Never thought I'd see the day when ANY Green Lantern would star in a live-action film. Hooray! :-D

Mykal said...

It looked very good to me. When you consider all that might have gone wrong, I think this looks very promising. Judging by the trailer, the film makers at least seem to understand GL and what makes it special. I'm in.