Friday, July 23, 2010

Blackest Night trade books -- Could have been better?


I picked up the first three Blackest Night trade books: Blackest Night, Green Lantern: Blackest Night, and Green Lantern Corps: Blackest Night. Of course, I love 'em, as I love Green Lantern comics in general, but I do have a bit of a quibble.

I had really hoped that DC would combine the Green Lantern and main Blackest Night title issues into one trade, intersplicing them so they appeared in proper story order. It would have made sense, given how the two titles were completely reliant upon each other when the individual issues were first published. Sure, certain parts of the main Blackest Night issues were carried over into non-Green Lantern-related titles, but the ties weren't as blatant as those to Green Lantern.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, DC published the Green Lantern issues in one trade and main Blackest Night issues in another trade. This makes for a pair of VERY confusing books that don't make much sense unless you constantly flip back and forth between the two. Poor Mr. Sea tried reading them the other night (he hadn't read the comics when they were first published) and found the constant shifts between the two titles highly annoying. Maybe in the future DC will publish the two titles together in a way that makes sense. For now, though, they serve more as collections than as books with any sort of coherent flow.

No such problem for Green Lantern Corps trade, though. The GLC title wasn't heavily reliant on any other Blackest Night stories, so the trade is a nice read with good flow. Well, as nice a read as a good ol' gory GLC story CAN be, that is. Ya gotta love the GLC, but it ain't for the weak of heart!

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Interesting. I did see these, but since I have all the individual issues, I didn't bother to pick them up. It would have been nice to have them sequentially, to make a more coherent story. However, I fear that DC wasn't aiming for that, instead just getting them out in their own titles, alas.

I DID notice that the covers changed a bit from the first ones shown, way back when, to the actual artwork, which rather surprised me.

How's Retirement?

Sea-of-Green said...

Retirement? What retirement? I can't believe how much work I've had to do around the house this week! Of course, that's one of the reasons why I quit in the first place ...

LissBirds said...

I hadn't even thought to take a look through the BN hardcover. In fact, I didn't notice them at Borders (but I've been avoiding the graphic novel section as of late because I just lose money wayyy to easily when I look at graphic novels.) That stinks that they didn't collect BN and GL together. I bet there's a lot of confused readers out there. :( Is there any mention in the book at least, that there are other hardcovers that tie into Blackest Night?