Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Yippee Ki Yay, Green Lantern!

Poor ol' Abin Sur. Green Lantern fans have hardly EVER seen the poor man having any fun. We've seen his death many times, shown in many different ways. We've seen him getting the chocka ca-ca scared out of him by prophecies. We've seen a few interesting stories told via flashback -- but there's hardly been anything showing the man actually having FUN. And what's the point of being a space cop if you can't have FUN?

For those Green Lantern fans who've never seen poor ol' Abin Sur having FUN, I present to you the following two paintings. And what better way for a Green Lantern to have fun than to play COWBOY! Heck, Hal got to play cowboy once. Why not Abin Sur?

Yee-haw -- Ride 'im, Abin! He's a spaaaaaaace cowboy ...!

So, don't let it be said that Abin Sur never had any fun. Besides, he rocked the Clint Eastwood poncho and hat better than HAL ever did.

The two Abin Sur paintings, by the way (first one by Glen Orbick; second one by Laurel Blechman), are from the Green Lantern: Traitor storyline, first published way back in 1999 in the now-defunct Legends of the DC Universe comic. I miss that comic. It had a lot of very fun, very creative stories.

Here's an observation regarding the first painting, though: Take a good look at Abin Sur's green horse. I swear the artist must have used a Breyer horse as a model. Here's some little-known geekdom for you (and keep this in mind the next time someone tries to tell you that collecting comic books is goofy): Breyer Animal Creations of Reeves, International has been making high-quality animal models since the 1950s, but none are as well-known as its horses. Over the years, collecting the model horses has grown into a very complex fandom. It includes not only collecting the hundreds (perhaps thousands) of model varieties, but also customizing the models into looking as realistic as possible. It ALSO includes publicly displaying them in judged competitions that closely resemble the types of shows held for REAL horses -- INCLUDING conformation, racing, show jumping, dressage, you name it.

In other words, there are adults out there who collect model horses and treat them like REAL horses. It's true. I'm not kidding. And you thought people who dress up like Stormtroopers from Star Wars were weird, right? Oh, there are conventions, too. Click here to see the main page for Breyerfest, held every year at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, KY. The "star horse" at this year's event belongs to William Shatner. If you think ComicCon is elaborate ...!

I once had close to 100 Breyer horses, but I now have only a handful left. The horse Abin Sur is riding looks suspiciously like a Breyer "Fighting Stallion" -- especially where the pose is concerned. Compare it with the following photo (Fighting Stallion #32, 1961-70, Glossy grey appaloosa) and see what you think!

Or am I being just a little TOO geeky here?

9 comments:

MetFanMac said...

Purty artwork is purty :3

But as for the Breyer connection, I think you may be overreaching a tad... After all, a horse is a horse (of course, of course).

SallyP said...

I had no idea that collecting horses was so...so involved. And yet, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by ANYTHING anymore.

I used to have horse statues too, as a young teen. I think that just about every girl goes through the horse stage. I had all the Black Stallion books, and Misty of Chincoteague and all of that practically memorized.

Then I discovered boys.

LissBirds said...

"In other words, there are adults out there who collect model horses and treat them like REAL horses. It's true."

It's true. I can verify that. I had (have) 50+ Breyer horses when I was a kid, and I subscribed to Breyer's collectors magazine, "Just About Horses," which detailed how adults made bridles, halters, and used boiling water to change the poses of their Breyers' legs. (I always wanted to try that but it seemed like ruining them...) The farthest I got was making my own halter.

That rearing mold was used on more than one model horse--I don't remember what color mine is, but it's not an Appaloosa.

Abin Sur's horse struck me as rather Breyerish because of his...um...diminished stallionhood. As a kid, I never could understand why some Breyers looked neither like mares, stallions, or geldings, but some kind of weird hybrid between all three...

Oh, and Flash Fact, I met the editor of Just About Horses and he signed one of my Breyers.

LOL, Sally. I think I'm still stuck in the horse statues stage...

The One True GL said...

Sally, you approve of the poncho covering Hal's...um...assets?

Sea-of-Green said...

Oh, Liss--! Here's a good one for you -- I actually own a "customized" Breyer that once appeared in a "Just About Horses" CENTERFOLD. ;-)

LissBirds said...

OMG! Really, Sea! What did it look like?

Who knows, I might even have seen it. Now I want to find my collection of JAH...though I have no idea where they are.

CATR's Chris said...

Adult people collecting horse figures? Wow! I feel so mature now :)

SallyP said...

In all the excitement over the horses, I forgot to mention that Abin Sur really does look as though he's having an awfully good time.

Jeff said...

I love that there are whole worlds out there that I know nothing about. Fully developed, very real and competitive worlds about which I'm completely unaware.