Monday, March 29, 2010

Thank you, Mr. Giordano

"Dick Giordano" is one of the first names I learned to anticipate seeing in my comic books way back when I was a little kid, when I was first reading Batman and Green Lantern-Green Arrow. I first knew Mr. Giordano as (what was to me) Neal Adams' "good inker" -- and then I quickly came to recognize his touches on other works from DC Comics. I once had the pleasure of meeting the man, and he was uncommonly gracious and generous with his advice. That he was both an artist and editor was very admirable to me. It's difficult to juggle those two disciplines, but he did so with enviable and seemingly effortless talent. It was also, always a real pleasure to sit down with a comic book containing his work. I've always been proud to own one of his drawings of Hal Jordan, and also an art print of his, depicting the Hard-Traveling Heroes -- reminders of when I first learned to recognize his work. I was truly sad to learn of his passing Saturday.


Thanks for everything, Mr. Giordano. You will be greatly missed.

4 comments:

plok said...

Aw, crap.

Servo said...

Dick Giordano is one of those people I associate with DC Comics -seeing him as the "editor" guy at DC. He was the standard of the comics for a long time, and I'm sorry to hear about his passing.

The One True GL said...

I'll remember him as one of the people who had a big part in creating Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Nightshade, Peter Canon Thunderbolt, The Question, and Peacemaker for Charlton. I'll also remember him for bring those heroes to DC and convincing Alan Moore not to kill/warp them for Watchmen. So, all JLI fans owe him a lot. A true great.

The One True GL said...

That's 'bringing'