Friday, January 29, 2010

The live-action debut of the JSA: Smallville's last gasp?

I don't know WHO has been watching Smallville the last few years, but I pretty much gave up on the show once Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor) left the series. He was, in my opinion, the best darned Lex Luthor to ever grace film, TV, OR the printed page. I think the series had pretty much jumped the shark before then -- and I pinpoint the killing off of Jonathan Kent as the culprit. Plus, once they started bringing in other heroes from the DC Universe (particularly Green Arrow) to keep things interesting, it became pretty evident that the show's creative team was running out of ideas. I'm really, really surprised, therefore, that Smallville has survived for eight-or-nine seasons.

BUT, over the weekend, I saw THIS advertisement for the February 7 broadcast:

Did you see that? That, ladies and gentlemen, was the JUSTICE SOCIETY. Alan Scott and Jay Garrick were only hinted at, but we DEFINITELY got to see Dr. Fate, Stargirl, and HAWKMAN, complete with wings and mace. Holy cow! Green Arrow was also present, of course. It was also nice to see the Smallville version of Martian Manhunter again.

I'd heard rumors about this episode a while back, including one that it was written by Geoff Johns -- but I pretty much took an "I'll-believe-it-when-I-see-it" position on the whole thing. NOW it's here. Hmmm ...

Is this, then, Smallville's last gasp? Is it Smallville's attempt to go out with a bang? Whatever the case, I admit I may very well have to make sure I see this episode. It's the first time I've been interested in watching Smallville in a very, very long time. OF COURSE, they WOULD have to broadcast it during the Super Bowl. Sorry -- my Indianapolis Colts have viewing priority. But, hey, this is what recording devices are for!

EDIT: Someone just emailed me the following photo from this Smallville episode:

Look! Hawkman's beating the hell out of Green Arrow! Or, at least, the threat is certainly there--! Can't ... stop ... LAUGHING! SOMEone got that relationship dynamic right. Take THAT, Ollie! HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA--HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAaaAAA--! *Cough!* *Cough!* Oh, it HURTS! It hurts--! *Snicker!*

UPDATE: OOPS! I'm getting to watch this episode after all. The episode is being broadcast in CANADA on February 7. In the USA, the broadcast date is February 5.

5 comments:

Saranga said...

OMG i'm so glad you've posted this viedo, I hadn't seen the trailer yet. most exciting thing that'll happen to me all year!

sooo looking forward to this.

SallyP said...

So appropriate. Ollie vs. Carter. Yeah, I gave up on Smallville quite a while ago, it's gotten pretty stodgy lately, although there have been occasional bright spots.

For the life of me however, I cannot understand how it is going to be that no one will recognize Clark when he finally...FINALLY shows up as Superman.

3NINO said...

It's amazing how almost every single major dc superhero has been introduced in Smallville... before Clark has even become Superman... presuming he ever will... Infinite Crisis might happen before then!

LissBirds said...

I don't watch Smallville, but my (non-comics-reading) best friend does. She had told me about this episode a while back, and, being a Dr. Fate fan, I kept on telling her how awesome Dr. Fate was. So she's got me watching Smallville and I've got her interested in Dr. Fate. I'm coming in with rather low expectations for this episode, but I'm hoping it'll rock!

Sea-of-Green said...

I'm amazed we haven't seen Hal or one of the other Lanterns yet. They're probably worried about the special effects. Even done with computers, they're still expensive.