Friday, January 8, 2010

It's Elvis's 75th birthday -- so why do I keep thinking of Pink Floyd?

Today, Elvis would have been 75 years old. All of the radio stations have been playing Elvis music all day. So, why do I keep thinking of Pink Floyd instead? I've been on a Pink Floyd kick all week, revisiting an on-again, off-again love affair I've had with their music for a good portion of my life. I never had a love affair with Elvis's music, though, and I think that's the key here. When I grew up, the house was always filled with music -- but it was the music of The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin ... As I've mentioned before on this blog, when Elvis died, I had no idea who he was (my mom was horrified). Even after learning about Elvis (though I do respect Elvis's legacy as a performer and find him highly entertaining), I still preferred the music of my early childhood. However, my personal musical preferences aside -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Elvis.

AND NOW, I give you Pink Floyd, at their most psychedelic -- the song (if you can call it a song) "One of These Days," originally from the album Meddle, as performed during the band's Division Bell tour in 1994. Listen for the Dr. Who theme, snuck in at the 2-minute, 17-second mark. Enjoy!

4 comments:

RAB said...

There's a connection between the two. Multiple sources confirm Elvis was a huge Monty Python fan, watching all the episodes and Holy Grail over and over again and reciting all his favorite bits for his entourage. Pink Floyd were likewise huge Python fans and used proceeds from Dark Side of the Moon to help finance the making of Holy Grail. I'm sure Elvis would have been pleased with the Floyd for that, even if he didn't care for their music.

I'm pretty sure "One of These Days" was always intended as a DW theme homage: they were all admirers of its composer Delia Derbyshire and (she said) followed her around hoping to learn her secrets. Floyd was also connected to DW via their mutual friend Douglas Adams. And John Cleese appears in one of the Adams-penned episodes, and Michael Palin mentions DW several times in his diaries; the two shows rehearsed in the same studios. So there's a big Floyd/Python/Who nexus. Now if only we could have gotten Elvis watching Doctor Who…

3NINO said...

oh jimeny cricket...

pink floyd playing the doctor who theme...

first david tennant finally leaves and now I hear this.
I'm starting to love the whole whovian mythology again :-)

thank you.
oh yes and yay Elvis.

SallyP said...

I like some Pink Floyd, but I have to admit that "The Wall" drives me up one. I keep shrieking out that they are using a double negative, and that of COURSE they need more education! My children pat me on the head, and try to calm me down.

Sea-of-Green said...

Ah-HA! So I'm not completely out of my mind -- there IS a connection! Thank you, Rab! :-)

Oh, Sally -- the point of the song is that UK public education needed better teachers -- but, of course, the song seems to mean something entirely different taken out of context. As it is, though I like The Wall as a concept album, I don't like listening to it a lot, and I never liked that song. I much prefer the Floyd music to Roger Waters' "messages." My favorite Pink Floyd album is Wish You Were Here.