Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Whatever happened to Sax Girl?

A few characters have functioned as Green Lantern sidekicks over the years, but there's one that seems to have been all but forgotten. Whatever happened to Sax Girl? Yes, SAX GIRL. You know -- the cute little blonde saxophone player who was sidekick to the shaggy dog Green Lantern known as G'nort? You know, the girl who (with G'nort's help) could do THIS?

Just imagine Black Canary with a saxophone, and you pretty much have Sax Girl. Scary, scary.

Sax Girl first appeared in Green Lantern Corps Quarterly #1 (1992). G'nort found her in an alley behind the old Justice League International headquarters, and she became his friend when he fed her some dog food. No, I'm not kidding. Sadly, Sax Girl (whose real name was Rose -- and there were a lot of "Roses" in Green Lantern stories back then for some reason) was only around for a brief time. She was last seen in Green Lantern Corps Quarterly #5, when she decided to "stay home." Poor G'nort has been without a sidekick ever since.


Cheer up, G'nort -- things aren't all that bad. Believe me, you DON'T want to join the Teen Titans right now. You really, really don't.

Technically, in current continuity, G'nort is "missing, presumed dead." Well, don't you believe that G'nort is dead -- never kick a dog while he's down! G'nort will be back, never fear, and it would be nice if he dropped in on Sax Girl, if only to say hello.

Wouldn't it be great if G'nort came back during Blackest Night to save the day? Oh, that would be SWEET.

And Hal would absolutely hate it. JUST hate it.

7 comments:

ComicsAllTooReal's Chris said...

Did I ever tell you G'Nort was my favoritestest Green Lantern? And I had no clue about this Sax Girl, bad for me!

And I didn't even had a clue his current status was "presumed dead". Oh, well, Blackest Night will only get better!

SallyP said...

I desperately want to see G'nort again...preferably NOT as a dead Lantern.

If you thik that Hal would be disgusted, just THINK about Guy's reaction.

Oh, it would be sweet.

ComicsAllTooReal's Chris said...

After the shock, I think Guy would start laughing. Really.

MetFanMac said...

Now that you've said it, I can't unthink it...

And no, G'nort should DEFINITELT not join the Teen Titans. Unless he joins Atrocitus and becomes a Redshirt, in which case it's a foregone conclusion.

Maxo said...

Sax Girl.

SAX. GIRL.

I can't stop thinking it now. And why does the idea of an alley behind the JLI headquarters weird me out?

It would be great if G'nort made a comeback during Blackest Night (but God, please, not as a Black Lantern).

Sea-of-Green said...

I don't want to see G'nort as a Black Lantern, either. But -- OH -- it would be great if he DID show up to save the universe. :-) I don't think Guy would mind, really -- I think he'd be kinda proud of G'nort.

Hal would congratulate G'nort, of course -- but he'd be grinding his teeth the whole time.

Eyz said...

Poor ol' G'nort..
Always my fav, always mistreated...

JLAntartica forever!!!