Friday, May 1, 2009

To My Brother For His Fortieth Birthday

FIRST, a little intro from the Watchmen:

We are all DEVO!








"DON'T SHOOT" - DEVO from DEVO Channel on Vimeo.



Yes, my brother has spent a good portion of his life devoted to the band DEVO, and he shows no signs of letting up anytime soon. I know most people out there know DEVO only through the song "Whip It" and its accompanying video -- but believe it or not, DEVO have had many songs, many albums, and are still going strong. TOURING even. I don't pretend to understand my brother's obsession with DEVO, but I admire his tenacity. AND, if this is indeed indicative of the type of crowd that regularly attends DEVO concerts ...

... then I kinda understand my brother's devotion to the band. :-)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, bro!

And, YES, now that April is over, I'm back to bein' GREEN!!!

5 comments:

TF said...

wow...

can't believe I never heard of these guys...

energy domes...
never before have I ever seen one of those used in such a cool way. I guess it was Devo who made it cool?

SallyP said...

Good heavens, they're wearing ziggurats on their heads! Or upside-down Guggenheims, I'm not sure.

Nevertheless, they seem like nice enough people. So Happy Birthday to your Brother.

Sea-of-Green said...

Well, DEVO aren't really cool per se ... more like ANTI-cool. They're a bunch of former Kent State University art students who founded a rock band on the premise that mankind is DE-evolving (hence the name DEVO). They're usually credited as pioneers of New Wave, industrial, and alternative rock.

DEVO fans are usually called Spuds, or Spudsters (potatos). Don't ask me why. I haven't the faintest idea.

MetFanMac said...

Yay for greenness! (But couldn't you have also done a feature on blue-SKINNED heroes? Maybe next year...)

Devo's best song is not by Devo at all--it's Weird Al's "Dare to be Stupid". Check it out on YouTube!

Sea-of-Green said...

You're right -- Weird Al did do a great job of spoofing DEVO. He sounded more DEVO than DEVO did!