Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Oh Ivan, DC -- how COULD you?!

I've suspected this for a while now, and I finally got off my duff to check it -- and, gosh darn it, I was right! I HATE it when publishers and artists do stuff like this!

Exhibit A, from a two-page spread in Green Lantern #25:

Exhibit B, the cover of Blackest Night #0:

See that? It's Ivan Reis's exact same drawing of Hal in both instances, right down to Oclair's inks and Moose's coloring. Now, I understand all too well that sometimes publishers and artists have to cut some corners to save time and money. And I understand that Ivan may not have had anything to do with this decision. AND I understand that Blackest Night #0 is a FREE comic book. But whenever publishers and artists reuse artwork in this particular manner, I can't help but feel a little cheated.

*Sigh.*

S'okay, Ivan. I still love your work. I really, really do ...!

7 comments:

Maxo said...

LAME. Now I wonder if the background images were cribbed from previous issues, too.

Kevin T. said...

Waitwait hold on here. Is there a colorist actually named "moose"?

That. . . that's so awesome. Now all we need is an inker called "squirrel"!

As for Mr. Reis, well, you can't really call a run a run until you've seen the artwork in other places right?

SallyP said...

There really is a colorist named Moose. Moose Baumann, and he is simply superb. He used to do all the Green Lantern stuff, but apparently had something of a falling out with DC over something, which just breaks my heart. The current colorist is good, but Moose is the best.

I wouldn't be surprised if they simply took Ivan Reis's artwork and redid it themselves. They probably didn't want to pay him twice.

snell said...

But would have complained if they had re-used a shot of Hal's ass?

TF said...

You'd never catch me repeating myself.

but, hey! tune in next time for Zombie Rainbow pony episode XXIII!!!!

FoldedSoup said...

Happy Mommie Day, Sea!

Sea-of-Green said...

Thanks, Soup! :-)