Friday, March 27, 2009

Encore, Batman! Encore!

Y'know, I really did want to bash Batman this week. But, darnit, I can't. You see, I have a terrible confession to make. Believe it or not, I had NEVER watched the TV series Justice League Unlimited until just last week. NEVER. I became intrigued after the gang at Consortium of Badness posted a few clips a couple of months ago, and I finally broke down last week and acquired the DVDs. Mr. Sea and I have been very happily plowing through them. Good, fun series! I've heartily enjoyed watching it. My absolute favorite scene so far is THIS one:

Oh, Batman! You were my first love, you know -- and whenever I get close to forgetting it, a wonderful thing like this comes along to remind me.

It's not just Batman singing the blues that gets to me. I love Batman, and I love the blues -- but most importantly, I love that song. "Am I Blue" was written in 1929 by Harry Akst and Grant Clarke, and originally performed by the legendary Ethel Waters. I first heard the song the first time I watched the classic Warner Brothers film, To Have and Have Not, starring Humphrey Bogart and featuring Lauren Bacall in her oh-so-famous screen debut ("You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?"). In the movie, Bacall sings the song with legendary HOOSIER songwriter, composer, musician, and jazz artist, Hoagy Carmichael. (Hey, I'm a total sucker for anything with a Hoosier connection.)

Oh, NOW I'll have to pull out my DVD of To Have and Have Not and rewatch it. I love that movie.

6 comments:

SallyP said...

Oh...my...God.

MetFanMac said...

Trust you to try and ruin a classic cartoon comedy moment with piles of facts ;-)

That was one of the most hysterical things I ever saw on the show! Check out Bats's reaction to Flash blowing a hole in Wayne Manor in "Starcrossed Pt. 2"!

TF said...

About.
FUNKING.
time.

;-)

RAB said...

That's why Batman said "I need someone to love me, I need somebody to carry me home to Gotham City, and bury my body there..."

Sea_of_Green said...

Awwww, I thought Batman's performance was very sweet. :-)

notintheface said...

Even though it's a different show, this clip reminds me of Angel singing "Mandy" at the karaoke bar on "Angel", except Batman's singing was actually good. (Rest in peace, Andy Hallett.)