Monday, March 23, 2009

Another Green Lantern vs. Superman (Kryptonian) battle on the horizon?

I don't normally blog about comic publisher solicits, 'cause I figure enough people do that already. However, I couldn't resist calling attention to this one little tale coming up in June, because it appears to involve a topic near and dear to my heart -- the strange, ongoing debate of who would win a REAL Superman vs. Green Lantern fight.

Apparently, in Superman: New World of Krypton #4, Green Lanterns Hal Jordan and John Stewart go up against those uppity Kryptonians who've had the audacity to establish a new Krypton in space sector 2814. Not only that, they bring along Ion -- Sodam Yat. Ah, HA -- so, is Sodam being given an opportunity for some payback for the pasting he received from Superman Prime? I guess we'll find out.

Of course, I don't anticipate that this will be a REAL, FAIR fight to determine once and for all which is more powerful -- a Green Lantern or a Kryptonian. Writers haven't given us a fair fight yet, and they probably never will. Still, there's always hope. You can bet I'm going to examine this fight VERY carefully.

While I'm on a roll, here's a reminder to everyone to NOT forget that Free Comic Book Day is coming up soon -- Saturday, May 3 -- and there's a brand-new GREEN LANTERN title coming out specifically for that event: Blackest Night #0.

DC has also released a few pages from the book as a teaser for fans. The pages feature Hal Jordan standing in a graveyard.

So, is he standing before the graves of his parents, Martin and Jessica? NOPE!

Hmmmmmmmm ...!

Oh, and one more comment: You know, it's been fun seeing just how Geoff Johns has gone about getting Hal to be inducted (even temporarily) into every single Corps of Light. However, I've been at a loss as to just HOW Johns would get Hal an orange ring. After all, the Orange Lanterns are supposed to be a Corps of Greed (Avarice) -- and Hal has never been a particularly greedy guy. I thought maybe Johns would bypass a detailed account of Hal getting an orange ring and instead fall back on some sort of technicality. Silly me.

So, what does Hal have to be greedy about? Attention? Approval? Women? Cockpits? All of the above? It'll be interesting to see what Johns does with this.

Y'know, after this whole Blackest Night storyline is done, Hal is going to need a really, REALLY good therapist.

6 comments:

Saranga said...

Oh dammit I'm gonna miss free comic book day. It's my sister's wedding that weekend and I somehow don't think I'll be able to sneak away to a shop.
Damn damn damn.

SallyP said...

I saw that beautiful Gary Frank cover with Hal vs Superman, and was quite smitten. He does give Hal one gorgeous behind.

CAN a Green Lantern beat Superman? I suppose that it depends upon the circumstances, sometimes yes, sometimes no, but I do think that they are a lot more evenly matched than the GL's are sometimes given credit for. And frankly, Sodam Yat with the powers of BOTH, should be pretty hard to take down by your average Kryptonian. Superman, with his years of experience is about the only one who would have a chance.

But since it is Clark's book, I'm betting he has the edge.

What does Hal have to be greedy about? Poontang. And lots of it.

ComicsAllTooReal's Chris said...

I live!

And after my frantic statement, I'm really exited about that storyline. Green Lanterns at New Krypton sounds like a great concept. I still have to check out the new releases, so, this one was a first for me :)

Thanks for posting it, Sea :)

MetFanMac said...

Am I the only one here who hears the seagulls from "Finding Nemo" when I look at that Orange Hal cover?

Also upcoming is Flash: Rebirth #3, which is being hyped as the issue that will "finally" resolve who's faster, Superman or Flash. (What, AGAIN?)

Maverick said...

Q: Superman vs. Green Lantern?
A: Batman

The fanboy in me would love to see the Kryptonians duke it out with the GLC.

Sea_of_Green said...

Saranga -- I've missed all the other Free Comic Book days, but I'm gonna try really hard not to miss out on this one. I'd scoop up all the free books and ship them to you if I could!

Sally -- Now that Sodam Yat finally has plenty of experience as a Green Lantern AND as Ion, he should be able to wipe the floor with Superman.

Chris!!! Good to see you, man! We've missed you around here!

Menachem -- Heh. :-) I wish you hadn't said that. Now I have a mental image of Hal being followed around by a pelican with Geoffrey Rush's voice: "WILL you SHUT UP?!?"

Maverick -- I've been waiting for a FAIR fight between a GL and Supes for a LOOOOOOONG TIME. It's WAY overdue. I think New Krypton gives us a good excuse for a battle royale!