Tuesday, March 10, 2009

And now for a LOT of Green Lantern artwork

Back in 1996, DC Comics produced a curious little publication called the Green Lantern Gallery: Being An Illustrative Chronology Of The Career Of Hal Jordan. Essentially, the publication was a comic book consisting entirely of splash pages drawn by various artists illustrating scenes from then-Green Lantern history. Some of the scenes were straight out of specific Green Lantern stories; others were character portraits; and still others were iconic scenes from no particular story. Here are a few examples of the artwork from this comic:

Front cover, Hal Jordan drawn by his designer, Gil Kane:

Hal Jordan and Abin Sur, by Brent Anderson:

Hal in space, by Jim Starlin:

Hal and the Guardians, by Alan Davis:

Hal fighting a winged monster, by Bernie Wrightson:

Hal Jordan and Barry Allen, by Dave Johnson:

Phil Jimenez's famous two-page spread of the entire Green Lantern Corps, pre-Parallax:

George Freeman's illustration of one of my favorite Black Hand moments, where Hand literally splits Hal up the middle:

Hal vs. Sonar (with poor Air Wave having problems in the background), by Oscar Jimenez. (I really should write an article about Air Wave sometime ...)

Star Sapphire, by Walt Simonson:

Hal vs. Mongul, by Claudio Castellini:

George Perez's famous drawing of Zero Hour:

Back cover, with Kyle Rayner by Darryl Banks, and Alan Scott by Mart Nodell:

6 comments:

Tony Z™ said...

Great Guardians! I never knew this existed!! I have or have had the Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman Galleries. Never knew GL had one.

And -- OMG!!!! I LOVE GEORGE FREEMAN!! He drew one in the Wonder Woman Gallery, too!!

I don't know that I've ever seen Perez's Zero Hour drawing before. That's pretty spectacular.

I just may have to try and eBay this...

TF said...

I wonder what it is with supercharacters and the 'grope hand' pose.
I mean look at Hal in the sixth picture or Mongul.
Maybe I just have a dirty mind.
Scratch the maybe.

sorry for filling your blog with smut. :-S

Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

Wow, I actually own that Black Hand comic (well, most of it.)

SallyP said...

I too have never heard of this, but wowzers! Them's some purty pictures!

Saranga said...

Not much buttocks going on in those there pictures :(
Still that Gil kane one is great :)

Sea_of_Green said...

I thought my blog was already full of smutt ...? ;-)

I have to admit that a lot of the artwork in this gallery is stuff that I don't particularly care for. Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that ...

As much as I love how he drew Hal, Gil Kane is one of those artists whose stuff has always bugged me, because the quality is wildly inconsistent. I always compare his work to "The Girl With The Curl" -- when it's good, it's VERY good, and when it's bad, it's terrible.