Friday, November 14, 2008

So, how does YOUR blog measure up? Find out!

Hoo-hoo, kiddies, you have GOT to try these! Thanks to Erica at The Good Old Days, I've been gleefully playing with a list of links at Library Bytes -- Blogger Tools of Analysis! Sound scary? Ooooh, they ARE! With these diabolical tools, you can learn the following just by typing in your blog's URL:

- What area of the human brain MOST reflects the writing style on your blog? Go to the Typealyzer to find out!

- Are you a man writing as a woman writing as a man -- er, something like that? Visit the Genderanalyzer to find out the GENDER of your writing style!

- Are you blogging at the Kindergarten level or at the Graduate School level? The Blog Readability Test will tell you!

- How Much is Your Blog Worth? Think your blog isn't worth anything? You might be wrong!

Now, I don't know if these analysis tools have any sense of legitimacy about them, but let's see how the Hoosier Journal of Inanity measures up:

- According to the Typealyzer, my blog reflects the Mechanic type, indicative of the "independent and problem-solving type. They are especially attuned to the demands of the moment; are masters of responding to challenges that arise spontaneously. They generally prefer to think things out for themselves and often avoid inter-personal conflicts. The Mechanics enjoy working together with other independent and highly skilled people and often seek fun and action both in their work and personal life. They enjoy adventure and risk such as in driving race cars or working as policemen and firefighters."


That's right, gosh darn it. I wanna be a helicopter pilot when I grow up!

- The Genderanalyzer thinks that this blog is being written by a MAN: "... written by a man (70%)." Now, this really doesn't surprise me. I actually get this ALL the TIME, even for my books (which I write under a gender-neutral pseudonym). I AM WOMAN -- HEAR ME ROAR -- but I admit that my writing style DOES carry a decidedly masculine tone. What I REALLY want to know is, did the Genderanalyzer draw its conclusion based on my actual writing style, or based on the fact that my blog is full of references to superheroes and monsters?

- According to the Blog Readability Test ...
blog readability test
Now, this is kind of depressing. In journalism school, I was taught that it was important to always try to write at the third grade level, so my writing would be easily accessible to the greatest number of readers without sacrificing content. If this result is at all accurate, it looks like maybe I've been editing nonfiction books for way too long.

- What's this blog worth?


My blog is worth $10,726.26.
How much is your blog worth?


Holy simoleons!

Uhhhhhhh ... Anyone wanna buy a blog?

24 comments:

TF said...

You sell out!!!

*has had his heart broken and subsequently cannot think of witty remark*

*is also going to try these out*

TF said...

Ha ha ha!

I'm practical, a man (apparently), my blog's reading level is GENIUS in capital letters and it's worth is $1,129.08!!

hold on...

genius?

Maxo said...

Your blog is more macho than my measly 63 percent - no wonder I get pushed around in the playground.

Erica said...

Aw, man, I'm totally jealous of your results. I am stuck with being a junior high "feeler", and you're a college grad "mechanic"? And your blog is worth more, too! *sob*

It would definitely be interesting to explore the algorithms and see just how they're determining the results. If it's all based on how much you talk about feelings versus Batman, that's not particularly determinative :)

Sea_of_Green said...

>>If it's all based on how much you talk about feelings versus Batman, that's not particularly determinative :)<<

Yeah, I agree. I mean, if I start filling up my blog with comments about and pictures of fluffy pink bunnies, does that mean my blog analysis results will suddenly become more "feminine?" ;-)

Sea_of_Green said...

Hey, Tom! Did you test out CoB, or ABDoW?

ComicsAllTooReal's Chris said...

Looks like my blog is 94% male. And it does surprise me because my writing has always been feminine and I with my current "America's Next SuperModel" it doesn't get less masculine than that, lol.

My readability is College (Postgrad). I wonder where they thought my posts were smart since they're basically kinder garden.

Hmmmm... Your "how much is your blog worth" link is kinda linking back to your blog and it also displays an error 0.0

And the Typeanalizer is stuck... I guess we're flooding it with too much traffic, lol.

Pete said...

So, the first two tools think my main blog is written in Armenian.

The third says I write at the elementary school level. This makes sense, I think, since I predominantly talk about toys.

Kevin T. said...

tf, you gotta be kidding me, 'cause that's exactly what I got across the board! I even got the specific price, down to the eighth cent.

No lying now: ARE YOU MY SECRET TWIN?

I find it hard to understand how they'd gender-label a blog. Do they look at content, or style? How the heck would they look at style anyways? Passive/active sentences??? But that sounds ridiculous.
Diction would be a big thing here.

I wish these things would say the basis that they made all their conclusions, but these were really cool, sea! Thanks!

TF said...

I did CoB... there isn't much typing over at AbDoW.

*secret muahahaha*
I'm still the one and only GENIUS.
*secret muahahaha*

googum said...

Per Typealyzer, Feeler/Performer. Sssssure. My action figures have more emotional range than I do.

GenderAnalalyer: "written by a man (53%), however it's quite gender neutral."

Reading level? I think Dr. K had this link up. I've never got higher than Junior High...I mean, blog-wise...I'm torn between wanting to get that college-level feeling of, um, not dumbness; and being accessible to everybody.

Worth: "Your blog, random-happenstance.blogspot.com/, is worth $11,855.34" Shhhh! I don't want it counted as an asset!

Thanks for the tools!

Baal said...

I'm 61% male (a reason an ex once gave me when he dumped me, BTW), a doer (which I so am not), and worth only barely above a grand. The readability? That site twice said it couldn't check my blog. Does that make me dumb or what?

SallyP said...

Good heavens, I'll have to try this.

Of course, they pegged you as male, silly! No GIRL writes about comics, everyone knows that!

You also know how to spell and frame a coherent sentence.

SallyP said...

Well...I took the tests, and like you, I am mechanical, which actually rather surprised me. I also write for an elementary school level, which is probably a little insulting. On the other hand, it DID conclude that I was indeed a woman. Must have been all those references to male behinds.

But I'm worth $14,678.04! Woohoo!

TF said...

sally p: "You also know how to spell and frame a coherent sentence"

what mean supposed to is that?

MetFanMac said...

Apparently I'm a risk-loving mechanic, a female (75%), write at elemtary school level, and am worth $1,693.62.
This stuff is insane.

...

GOODY! :-D

ComicsAllTooReal's Chris said...

OMG! The Business Opportunities link finally worked for me and I just realized my blog is worth $0. LOL

FoldedSoup said...

Chris, we should combine our bloggy resources. My blog too is worth bubkis.

ComicsAllTooReal's Chris said...

Well, Foldedsoup, I'm already linking you. It's basic math:

0 x 0 = 0

Tony Z™ said...

I'm a feeling, high school-level writing woman with a blog worth $5,080.86.

But what does it mean!?

:-O

Baal said...

My blog continues to get that message that the site can't read it BUT my MySpace page is at the postgrad/college reading level and my Facebook page is at genius level. I lump this in with the carbon dating test that showed that a live mollusk was millions of years old...

Sea_of_Green said...

Wow, talk about some unusual results! Well, like I said, everyone -- I dunno how legitimate any of these measuring devices are. You gotta admit, though, that they're pretty darn interesting.

SALLY -- You and I should go race cars! :-D

SallyP said...

We're rich! RICH!!

Saranga said...

lol! I did these tests for both Pai and New readers. Both are mechanical types, Pai is apparently 74% male and new readers if 66% male, ha! I'll tell james that, he will be pleased!

the readability level isn't working :(