Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Marvel's superhero generator

Many thanks to Chris over at Comics All Too Real for posting an alert (especially for those of us who don't frequent Marvel's Web pages) that Marvel Comics now has its own online superhero generator: Create Your Own Superhero.

So NOW there are at least THREE superhero generators online:

- Fábrica de Heróis, in Portuguese, generates heroes in the Bruce Timm animated style.

- HeroMachine, in English, a generic-style superhero generator.

- Marvel's Create Your Own Superhero

Marvel's program is VERY similar to HeroMachine, though greatly simplified. It's also (no surprise) very Marvel-centric, to the point where it's difficult to create anything BUT Marvel heroes (particularly where the mask selection is concerned -- ugh). However, in playing with it, I was determined to create a DC hero, by gosh. So, allow me to present GUY GARDNER ... in a kilt:

So there, Marvel. Nya, nya!

UPDATE: Jeff Hebert has very helpfully supplied new information about HeroMachine. Here it is:

"I've actually got a new HeroMachine 'Mini' version posted at http://www.heromachine.com/warrior-beta/.

"It's still in beta, but it features MUCH better artwork, and many of the features that people have liked in [Fábrica de Heróis]. You can now add multiple items in each slot (so you can make a sort of custom logo, for instance), scale each item, rotate each item, color the lines, move each item around on the stage by clicking and dragging, create your own custom colors, use a cool (if slightly confusing) masking feature, and apply patterns to items.

"It's really neat, if I do say so myself (and I do!), and all of these features will be making the jump to HeroMachine 3 whenever I get to that.

"I hope those of you who have disliked [HeroMachine] in the past give it a whirl, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's amazingly versatile, even with the relative handful of items compared with the full version."

11 comments:

Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

'Hurt him?' I dang neart kilt him!!!!!


Thank you thank you, I'll be here all week.

ComicsAllTooReal's Chris said...

Bwah-hahahaha!

Guy Gardner is so going to get you! ROFL!

MetFanMac said...

:-D

WIN.

TF said...

man, I hate heromachine and create-a-marvel-just-a-marvel-hero-yes-that's-right-sucker-only-marvel-hero generator.

I love the FDH, however.
You can REALLY be creative with that one.

Och! 'Tis the power o' the rrrrring!!

Shelly said...

Just shows what you can accomplish with pure determination. :)

barb said...

I'm wondering something. Does lightning bolts shoot outta his arse?

Jeff Hebert said...

I've actually got a new HeroMachine "Mini" version posted at http://www.heromachine.com/warrior-beta/

It's still in beta, but it features MUCH better artwork, and many of the features that people have liked in the FDH. You can now add multiple items in each slot (so you can make a sort of custom logo, for instance), scale each item, rotate each item, color the lines, move each item around on the stage by clicking and dragging, create your own custom colors, use a cool (if slightly confusing) masking feature, and apply patterns to items.

It's really neat, if I do say so myself (and I do!), and all of these features will be making the jump to HeroMachine 3 whenever I get to that.

I hope those of you who have disliked HM in the past give it a whirl, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's amazingly versatile, even with the relative handful of items compared with the full version.

SallyP said...

HOW did you KNOW about my kilt fetish?

*sigh*

I am SO smitten.

ComicsAllTooReal's Chris said...

Jeff, I'm going to check that link of yours. I was never hooked on the original Hero Machine, but I did like the concept a lot. Let's see what I can come up with it, now.

Sea_of_Green said...

I admit I also like kilts a lot. Mr. Sea is half Scottish but refuses to wear a kilt. It's so depressing.

JEFF -- Thank you for posting here about updates to HeroMachine! :-)

Jeff Hebert said...

Happy to, keep up the great work on the blog!