Saturday, August 9, 2008

Ten reasons to love artist Alan Davis

1. Splash pages that are just ... just ... CRAZY:



2. Hawkwoman:

3. Crimson Crusader and Imp (or do they count as two reasons?):

4. HUMOR, whether it's Excalibur in a typically weird situation ...

... or Hal Jordan in typically, er, Hal Jordan situations:


5. Rachel Summers as Phoenix:

6. The utterly insane, eye-straining, mullet-topped, and downright BRAVE design of Dominic Destine:

7. Starro Krypto!

8. The most appealing Nightcrawler not drawn by Dave Cockrum:

9. Big Barda as Green Lantern!

10. The cheesy grin. OH, that cheesy grin!





(Okay, okay, I think they get the point! Enough with the grinning!)

8 comments:

Baal said...

Where did all those DC shots come from?

SallyP said...

I love Alan Davis. He has such fluidity and elegance in his linework. Plus, he doesn't draw his characters as ridiculously overly muscle-bound like SOME artists.

You have to admit that he does a VERY pretty version of Hal.

Sea_of_Green said...

baal -- Those are from Alan Davis's Elseworld stories The Nail and Another Nail -- some of the craziest, goofiest, and most GORGEOUS Elseworld stories ever done. They're kind of like Crisis events written and drawn by Alan Davis -- but a heck of a lot more fun than what DC usually does for a Crisis.

Sally -- YES, he does draw a VERY pretty Hal. :-) Apparently, the man is also a huge Green Lantern fan. I'd love to see him do a Green Lantern Elseworlds series -- if not a regular Green Lantern series.

Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

Well, at least we get to see Jonah Hex hanging from a balloon!

Tony Z™ said...

Alan Davis is simply awesome.
Is he Marvel exclusive now? If so, DC needs to fix that. If not, DC needs to reel him in!!

Gee, now I think I need to go pull out The Nail and Another Nail for a re-reading. You've whetted my appetite. Darn you!

Sea_of_Green said...

Sorry, Tony! :-)

I don't think Alan Davis is Marvel exclusive right now, or exclusive ANYTHING. I think he's pretty much a free agent who goes wherever someone is willing to let him do one of his own projects (hence the recent return of ClanDestine).

Carnivac said...

To be honest I've never been a fan of his style. It just seems too.. I dunno.. rubbery? People's limbs and faces in particular may me believe I can pull them like a Stretch Armstrong. That make any sense?

Sea_of_Green said...

Sure it makes sense. I mean, can you honestly picture the Alan Davis Grin on a real, live human being? ;-)