Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hoosier Journal of Inanity: YEAR ONE

Well, actually, I've been posting for more than a year now, and it's been NEARLY a year since Sally talked me into "going public" with comments and so forth. (Thanks, Sally!) Like most people in Blogger Land, I started this blog primarily for the fun of it, and to give myself a place to exorcise some creative demons. The blog has since taken on a life of its own.

Somehow I've also managed to keep the blog going in spite of the occasional technical difficulty and one major life-changing event -- namely, Mighty Mite coming into my world. I think it helps that I haven't limited myself to one topic. Sure, I love comic books and super-heroes, but those aren't my only interests and certainly not all I write about here. I think that by making and keeping Hoosier Journal of Inanity an open-interest blog, it's guaranteed to keep going even after I get tired of picking on super-heroes. However, Hoosier-related topics will probably always appear with some sort of regularity -- because, hey, I was born a Hoosier, and that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Having StatCounter installed on my blog has also been interesting. Thanks to StatCounter, I know that this blog is now averaging over 200 hits a day. I also know that, on average, 60% of the people who find my blog don't hang around for more than a few seconds, but 17% spend MORE THAN AN HOUR reading the posts here. Wow. Any marketing director will tell you that 17% is A LOT.

It's also interesting to see just what posts people like. The single most popular article I've posted, based on the number of hits it's received, is Superman vs. Green Lantern, Part I and Part II.

In second place, a big surprise: Almost every single time I post an article about anything Indiana-related, I get SCADS of hits, and almost all Indiana articles have received an equal number of hits. There must be loads of Hoosiers out there thirsting for Indiana-related blog posts.

Rounding out the top twenty (out of 204 posts so far), the other most popular posts (and I'm completely baffled as to why most of these are popular) include:

- Worst long-term (but temporary) super-hero hairstyles
- Green Comic Book Heroes: More than most people know
- Dancing with the super-heroes!
- The Batman Movie (1966) drinking game
- "Barry, what's wrong with your head?"
- Hal Jordan's butt forever!
- The Crisis Event to Beat All Crisis Events
- This looks like a job for Superman!
- Batman #237: Night of the Reaper
- Green Lantern mystery art project
- Nightcrawler: Show me the way to go home
- Superman vs. Star Sapphire
- Hal Jordan's tips for picking up women

Seriously -- I wouldn't even look twice at most of these articles, but to each their own, I guess.

Via StatCounter, it's also fun to see under what search terms people have found this blog. Recent favorites include:

- Green Lantern Loves Power Girl (No comment)
- Meadowville Indiana (Someone's been watching the movie On the Town)
- Hal Jordan sex life (Again, no comment)
- sexy superheroes (Aren't they all?)
- french lick (I hope they were looking for the Indiana town name and not something else)
- green lantern slash bang (Er ...)
- Batman hates Green Lantern (Well, of course he does!)

Strange. So VERY strange.

SO, with all the attention this blog is getting, I think it's high time I threw together a custom banner, instead of using the generic one from the template I'm using (pretty though it is). Question is, what to feature in the banner? Oh, decisions, decisions! I'd appreciate some help in the matter, so feel free to take the poll in the upper right-hand sidebar, and/or leave a comment here, if you wish. Sea needs a new banner!

Thanks, everyone. :-)

8 comments:

Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

200 hits a day? I'm jealous. When I get over 100, I'm doing my happy dance.

But then again, I'm not posting on my loves & whatnot, just plowing through Jonah Hex and I'm sure that there a lot more Lantern fans than Hex fans.

Happy Birthday!

Fred said...

Hey Sea, Im Fred from Brazil. I just discovered your blog today, and loving it!
Im a big Green Lantern fan, and have a little baby girl too (7mo).
Happy Birthday!

SallyP said...

I'm SO glad you put in the comments. You know this is one of my favorite sites.

I'm particularly fond of the Hal's tips on picking up women essay. SO appropriate.

And I keep clicking on Mighty Mite doing her best raspberry solo,because it just makes me smile.

Sea_of_Green said...

Awww, THANKS, you guys! :-)

FoldedSoup said...

Just so you know... This holds a prominent spot on our fridge, right next to the one where the T-Rex is flying the F-16. Thanks for the chuckle I still get every time I reach for a glass of Kool-Aid.

Sea_of_Green said...

LOL! OMG, I almost forgot about that thing. :-) Glad you like it, Soup!

googum said...

Congratulations, and I'm looking forward to the new banner! (I saw, Mighty Mite as a Green Lantern!)

Statcounter is a harsh mistress: I love it, but then I check keyword activity, and there's usually at least one that skeeves me out.

Sea_of_Green said...

Yeah, I agree, Googum -- StatCounter is a mixed blessing at times. Still, it's nice to know how many people are finding the site.

It's starting to look like I'll need to get that Green Lantern baby costume for Mighty Mite ...