Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pruning the comic books: The adventure continues

The comic book pruning continues. Yesterday, a HUGE stack of (mostly) Batman comics left the house, moving on to greener pastures and (hopefully) more appreciative readers and collectors. Seriously, I was shocked by how easy it was to part with most of my Batman comics, even ones that haven't yet made it into reprints (and just WHY haven't the Norm Breyfogle ones been reprinted? Grrrrrr ...). I even managed to get rid of some of my old, beloved Neal Adams issues -- because, hey, they've all been reprinted, anyway.

Also, I got to (very gleefully) throw a HUGE STACK of discarded comic book bags into recycling! There's a local grocery store that recycles plastic bags of all sorts, so they're outta here! And I won't miss 'em! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!! COMIC BOOK BAGS!!!! I HATE 'EM! I HATE 'EM! I HATE 'EM--! The fewer I have in my life, the better!!

Speaking of comic book bags: One thing I've noticed during this pruning exercise -- something that's kind of surprised me -- is that the blasted things definitely DO NOT stop old comic books from yellowing!

My oldest bagged comics, from the 1960s, still yellowed despite not having seen the light of day in over 20 years -- and the BAGS were also yellow. Yes, the plastic had aged and deteriorated to such a degree that it turned yellow. Well, actually, that IS a common drawback to plastic -- it DOES turn yellow over time, even if it's stored away in a nice, clean, dry environment away from sunlight. My general dislike of comic book bags aside, now I'm not sure the things protect comics as well as advertised. Hmmmmmm ...

Oh, and don't get me started on what happened to the tape ...!

All that aside, once the first batch of discarded comics left the premises, I took one look at the boxes next in line (the "G"s) and instantly got cold feet. After going through ALL of those BATMAN comics (not to mention quite a few Action Comics), the idea of plowing through ALL of my Green Arrows and Green Lanterns had me feeling a bit ... well ... green. So, I've skipped ahead to the "H"s, "I"s, and "J"s. I'll come back to "G" later.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

I don't blame you in the least. Going through all those "G"'s could take WEEKS!

Funny thing about old books turning yellowish over time. My Father-in-Law found a bunch of old books up in their attic, and gave them to me. They weren't in a bag or a box, just stacked on top of each other. The first two books on the top weren't in very good shape, but the stuff underneath looked practically brand new!

Sea_of_Green said...

Yeah, I'm wondering whether or not I should just leave ALL of the comics I'm keeping in bags. I am keeping some old Green Lanterns and Batmans that are, unfortunately, falling apart, and I admit that the bags are the most convenient way to keep 'em together. :-(