I was lucky enough to have a very LONG 4th-of-July weekend -- so you'd think I should be just about finished with paring down my comic book collection, right? Well, the process is taking a lot longer than I anticipated due to one little glitch: Going through my old comics is FUN!!!
Many of my comics haven't seen the light of day in over a decade (TWO decades in some cases), so I've been caught up in re-reading comics and going, "Oh, yeah! I remember this! This was great/hilarious/painful/awful/why the hell did I keep this?" Nevertheless, I'm making progress, slowly but surely, and each comic is ending up in one of three piles:
- Comics I'm discarding without a second glance.
- Comics I'm definitely keeping.
- Comics I'm undecided about.
So far, the Discard pile is much larger than the Keep and Undecided piles combined. Thank goodness.
Also, I have a LOT of old Batman, Batman Family, and other Batman-related comics, so it took the better part of last week just to go through those. Ah, but what fun it's been, rediscovering things like:
- Batman's casual sadism, LONG before Frank Miller got a hold of him:
(How convenient that Batman's cape doesn't get sucked into the giant fan. That's just a broken neck waiting to happen: "GRRRKKK-SNAP-blahhhhh!!!!")
- Barbara (Batgirl) Gordon's approach to trying to cure Dick (Robin) Grayson of his chauvinism:
- Fun with Dick and Jane ... er ... Babs (or, nonstop outrageous flirting a la "The Dynamite Duo") AFTER Babs tried to cure Dick of his chauvinism:
- Dick accidentally calling Tim Drake "Jeff" -- and Tim continuing the conversation without skipping a beat. I love editorial boo-boos like that. (Of course, Dick hardly knew Tim at all at this point, and Tim was probably too intimidated to correct him):
(And we won't discuss Tim's obvious obsession with Dick.
I DIDN'T just write that, did I?)
- Man-Bat, God of ... er ... BATS!
- Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
That's enough fun with Bat-people for now. On to the "C"s!