Monday, July 21, 2008

Goodbye, Emerald Dawn

With Geoff Johns' new retelling of Hal Jordan's Green Lantern origin story in Secret Origin, it's time to say goodbye to the previous retelling of the tale: Emerald Dawn, and its sequel, Emerald Dawn II.

I admit I'm not saying goodbye to them completely. In keeping with my ongoing comic-book-pruning task, I have them in trade form, so there's no need to hang onto my comic book issues anymore. The issues featuring the Geoff Johns origin tale will probably go away, too, once they're in trade form. For now, though, they're allowed to take up the space being vacated by Emerald Dawn.

Though so far I do like the new Secret Origin story better than Emerald Dawn, I have to agree with some fellow GL fans that there's one thing in particular that I'm gonna really gonna miss from Emerald Dawn. Oh, sure, it's fun to see Kilowog clobber Hal with a big yellow Frisbee in Secret Origin ...


... but NOTHING beats Hal Jordan VS. Big Yellow Sign, from Emerald Dawn:



Big Yellow Sign = 1; Hal Jordan = 0!

Anyway -- GOODBYE, Emerald Dawn. No more shy and indecisive Hal. No more drunk driving. No more Hal spending time in prison. And no more Hal having to explain his sexual orientation to Sinestro one more time ...

I kid! I kid! ;-)

6 comments:

Siskoid said...

I really hope they bring back the sign in Final Crisis. Libra could use good signage villainy on his team.

SallyP said...

Ahh, Emerald Dawn. I loved the M.D. Bright arwork, but really, it was a rather silly story. Except for the sign. Hal flying into the sign, is one of the more sublime moments in annals of Hal Stupidity, and we must all remember...nay TREASURE it!

Sea_of_Green said...

I do think the yellow sign needs to be added to Hal's official "rogue's gallery." ;-)

ComicsAllTooReal's Chris said...

I'm a little behind with the current storyline, I should catch up soon enough. I guess I just like letting some issues piling up so I can get to read several at once... Anyway, what I meant is that I didn't know Emerald Dawn was being written out of continuity. It wasn't top notch, so I really don't mind, but now I'm really curious as to see what Geoff came up with at this point :).

Sea_of_Green said...

Being true to form, Geoff Johns isn't removing ALL of Emerald Dawn out of continuity -- just most of it. There's been a minor plot point in the Johns' stories about Hal not liking to wear his power ring when he flies planes. THAT idea is straight out of Emerald Dawn.

ComicsAllTooReal's Chris said...

I see... I should check the GL books soon enough, I just have so many things to do. I need an extra couple of hours each day, lol.