Thursday, July 31, 2008

A favorite moment from Batman history

In the wake of the hoopla surrounding the Dark Knight movie, many longtime Batman fans are waxing nostalgic about their favorite moments, big and small, from Batman's very long comic book history. Here's a small moment from Batman history that's been MY personal favorite for a long, long time. From Batman #234 (1971):





I think it's Jim Gordon's reaction that sells this whole scene for me. Regardless, I still love it.

Thank you, Neal Adams. :-)

6 comments:

SallyP said...

*snicker*

Who says that Bats doesn't have a sense of humor? Oh wait, that's usually me. But in this case, I stand corrected.

This is great.

Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

The glasses askew, the suppressed laugh, the back turned to the door all make this a great panel.

Thanks for letting us see it.

FoldedSoup said...

That one *is* good!

(Saved for a slow day.. thanks!)

ComicsAllTooReal's Chris said...

Batman's "BOOs" are always great :). He should be a comedian :D

Pete said...

Brilliant!

One of my favorite Batman moments ever is the scene in Long Halloween where he just appears on the rooftop where Gordon and Dent are talking. All he says is "Gentlemen," and you can hear the bemused tolerance in his voice. It's just such a contrasting moment to so many of his other famous tricks that I'll never get over it. It tells you how in control he really is--the counterbalance to the Batman-persona-as-psychosis approach that's been so popular lately.

I probably should have just saved this for a non-hijacking blog post of my own. *shrug*

Sea_of_Green said...

Long Halloween IS full of great bits. I think that's one of my favorite of the more recent Batman tales. :-) For me, though, nothing quite comes close to the O'Neil/Adams era.