It’s one of the strangest metamorphoses a superhero has ever undergone: Hal Jordan started off as Green Lantern, and then became the villain Parallax, and then spent some time as The Spectre before becoming Green Lantern again. For various reasons, Hal Jordan as the Spectre didn’t sit well with many fans -- and perhaps a big reason was that, in all honesty, Hal made for a pretty lousy Spectre. Following is a list of ten examples of just why Hal Jordan was a lousy Spectre (with an affectionate wink at fellow Hoosier David Letterman, and at Johns, DeMatteis, Sook, Breyfogle, et al).
10. Once a Green Lantern, ALWAYS a Green Lantern -- especially, apparently, where the costume is concerned:
"Same stupid mask, though." *Snicker.* That’s right, Sinestro. Tell it like it is, man.
9. The Spectre as a Spirit of Redemption instead of a Spirit of Vengeance? Redemption sounds great, and noble, and all that, and it was admirable of Hal to give it a try ...
... but the Spectre as a spirit of vengeance is SO MUCH more interesting:
8. Since when does the Spectre apologize?
Yeah. What Ted just said.
7. Since when does the Spectre let himself get pushed around by an 8-year-old girl?
6. Half the time, Hal seemed to forget he was a ghost:
5. Hal even occasionally seemed to forget his gender:
Yes, that really is Hal Jordan as a woman. Twenty bucks says he spent time stripping in front of the mirror to check out the goods.
4. As the Spectre, Hal was more than capable of single-handedly kicking Darkseid’s ass ...
... and yet Hal got his butt kicked by … the Joker?
Oh, c'mon -- the Joker ...?!?
3. So much for being grateful for second chances. Hal whined ALL the TIME about being the Spectre, making him by far the whiniest Spectre to date:
No one likes a whiney Spectre, Hal!
2. It’s hard for an icky critter like the Spectre to get laid, even with Hal Jordan as the host. Not only that, the types of beings attracted to the Spectre are usually just as icky as the Spectre. Not that it stopped Hal from trying, of course:
Oh, just give it up, Hal.
1. The Spectre might be an all-powerful being, but Hal still managed to get his lights punched out by Oliver Queen:
Ladies and gentlemen, presenting GREEN ARROW, one of the most powerful beings in the universe.
Yeah! Go, Ollie!