Monday, December 10, 2007

Two more (okay, three) Indiana movie references

Well, whaddaya know! This weekend, while watching Turner Classic Movies, I encountered two more film references to my beloved, weird state of Indiana. I was previously unaware of these references:

- In the 1935 musical Roberta, the characters played by Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers are both from Indiana. Fred, in fact, plays the bandleader for a band called the Wabash Indianans. (Gee, they must be from Wabash, Indiana.) At one point during the movie, which is set in Paris, France, Fred mockingly proclaims, "I am the Marquis de Indiana!"

- In the musical High Society (1956), Frank Sinatra's character is from South Bend, Indiana. Of course, Sinatra sounds absolutely nothing like a Hoosier. Wrong accent, folks!

I love Turner Classic Movies.

And yes, YES, I know that a large portion of Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) is set in Indiana. My brother, George, keeps insisting that I mention Close Encounters, even though it's never been my intention to cover ALL movies set in Indiana. Happy now, George?

2 comments:

SallyP said...

See, it's MUCH more chic to mention Indiana than say...Iowa or something.

Sea_of_Green said...

Yes. And Indiana is WAY better than Ohio. ;-)