Monday, December 3, 2007

And now for a little artwork: More Ivan Reis

From Green Lantern #21 (2007), Part 2 of the Sinestro Corps War, comes this page depicting a moment of personal struggle for Hal Jordan. Prior to this scene, Hal, John Stewart, and Guy Gardner were kidnapped by being sucked into the main power battery on Oa and brought to Qward. On Qward, Hal is then subjected to an illusion of his greatest fear -– the very real probability that his father died in terror:

I like this page because it tells a lot about Hal without him having to say very much. He's on his knees in fear, one hand covering his face while the other hand tenses, showing his internal struggle to not give in to his fear. Then he draws his hand away from his face and, without opening his eyes to look at the figure walking up behind him, indicates that he KNOWS who's there. He doesn't need to open his eyes to know that it's Parallax.

It's not visible in this scan, but drawn in blue pencil over the kneeling figure of Hal is another rendering of him, presumably Ivan Reis's original depiction of the scene. In blue pencil, Hal's head is tilted back and he appears to be screaming. I think Mr. Reis made the right decision in how he ultimately chose to depict the kneeling Hal Jordan. Screaming would have been a bit out of character for Hal in this instance. He's not a character prone to giving in to fear if he can help it.

Here's the finished page:

4 comments:

SallyP said...

Gah! No pictures!

Fortunately, I have the actual book, and yes, that was a great moment. I love Ivan Reis.

Sea_of_Green said...

Well, doggone it. Blogger is still having graphics issues -- has been for the last few days. The images will come back up eventually, don't worry. :-( Until that happens, I'm gonna refrain from posting more images.

Now I know why some Blogger bloggers use PhotoBucket and other sources to post images!

SallyP said...

Whew, the pictures are back! And they are lovely of course.

I use Photobucket, because that's all I know HOW to use. Does pretty well, except that I discovered that gleefully deleting pictures wipes them out forever.

Sea_of_Green said...

Yeah, I remember that. :-) Good thing you were able to salvage some of it, though! I think if Blogger were to ever die for good, I'd lose everything I've posted. Maybe I'd better back up this stuff somewhere ...